After graduating university with a B.A. in Social Sciences, I soon realized that I was going to need more than a good resume and some work experience to find employment in this job market. Then the whole economy fell apart I soon found myself with fewer options than ever.
That's when I got in touch with an old friend from high school who was in a similar situation. My friend had also recently graduated and was having a rough time finding gainful, worthwhile humane forms of employment. These days however, we would have been happy with any job. My friend had been moving from one job to the next and couldn't find anything that fit. When the economy tanked he wished he had just kept his earlier jobs and now found himself having to give up his apartment and move back to be closer to family.
We were both in a similar situation. We were educated, interesting and for all intensive purposes extremely employable 20 somethings. We should be able to do whatever we set our minds to, right? Not in the real world I afraid.
But the rules are different are online and my friend wanted to explain a few things to his old friend and teach me how there are about as many ways to make money online as there are people surfing the web. It's not easy, but it's not nearly as hard as you think. And what's more, the difference between people who are making money online and those that are not is simple. People who are making money online persevered and continued to try new things and tweak old ones until they succeeded. People who do not make money online either did not try because they did not know how (or perhaps know that it was even possible) or tried a few times and gave up after it didn't meet their expectations.
This blog is about my story and how you too can make a living doing what you love and enjoy your life more. It sounds fantastic because it is. Imagine waking up knowing that somewhere, online, you are making money and so long as you continue to maintain and add value to your online presence, people will support you directly or indirectly.
Attention is power, all ancient traditions and people who are successful know this. Thought has power, knowledge is power, it takes time to think, time is money..... These may all seem like fortune cookie concepts but let me assure you that if these precepts were not true, marketing corporations would not be putting billions of dollars into getting you to look at things, remember things, sing jingles about things you may or may not like or want, get you to think about things you previously were not aware and otherwise waste so much of your time distraction you with useless information. Why do they do it? Because they know that they will make more money if they have your attention than if they do not. In fact, the money they get is almost entirely proportional to the amount of attention they get. But too a point, and now corporations are starting to realize that it is not enough to be known by everyone, its only good to be known by the people who support you or may support you later. Everyone knows about the United States Army, but not everyone joins. They have done well with the advertising campaigns but have limitations with what marketing can do for them.
Today things are different for people who are passionate about doing something they love, or would prefer to be unique and different rather than mediocre and the same. The irony is that we are unique just like everyone else, and this can be used to your advantage.
The rules have changed and the world has flattened. If you are reading this, then you are not in the room with me and it is not the same time I wrote this yet through technology we connected through time and space.
I intend to spend the summer showing you how I was able to make a living blogging, and to give you the tools you need to do the same. Whether you just want a little bit of pocket money or think that you would be a great candidate for life as a full-time blogger (Let me qualify by saying that in Blogging terms Full Time means you spend anywhere from 2 hours a day to 2 hours a week maintaining, enhancing and updating your blog, which gives plenty of time for the hammock, garden, beach and hammock again).
I won't be 30 for another few years but I think I might wait til my father retires before I tell him I'm planning on doing the same.
Check out the links, posts and useful tips, these will help you get started ASAP!
I intend to make as much information available as possible for free, but remember that I can only summarize what I learned from others (which turns out to be a lot after 2-3 years!) and have no intention of taking an idea without letting you know where or who I learned from, otherwise you would just go to them and not have the chance to see how I improved on it.
Thanks for reading and good luck blogging!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment